Subject: Kirja edastamine
From: "Sandra Metste" <[email-masked]>
To: "info - MKM" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 3 Jun 2025 11:54:14 +0300

Asja viide: 25-01089

Majandus- ja Kommunikatsiooniministeerium

Edastame Riigikantseleile saabunud kirja vastavalt teema valdkondlikule
kuuluvusele.

Lugupidamisega

Riigikantselei
Rahukohtu 3 | 15161 Tallinn
693 5555 | www.riigikantselei.ee |
<https://www.facebook.com/StenbockiMaja/> Stenbocki maja |
<https://twitter.com/StenbockiMaja> @StenbockiMaja

From: LYNCH Esther < <mailto:[email-masked]> [email-masked]>
Sent: Wednesday, May 28, 2025 12:46 PM
To: Kristen Michal - RK < <mailto:[email-masked]>
[email-masked]>
Cc: REPETTI, Lorenzo < <mailto:[email-masked]> [email-masked]>;
Fitzgerald, Ruairi < <mailto:[email-masked]> [email-masked]>;
Bonacina, Emanuela < <mailto:[email-masked]> [email-masked]>;
Riigikantselei - RK < <mailto:[email-masked]>
[email-masked]>
Subject: ETUC Letter – Urgent Concerns Regarding the Undermining of Social
Dialogue and Trade Unions in Estonia

Dear Prime Minister of the Republic of Estonia Mr Michal,

The European Trade Union Confederation is writing to express its deep
concern regarding recent developments in Estonia that threaten the
integrity of social dialogue and the rights of workers.

Our Estonian affiliate EAKL has alerted us of the Estonian Government’s
decision to bypass established tripartite mechanisms in the drafting and
adoption of amendments to the Employment Contracts Act (ECA). The
exclusion of trade unions from meaningful consultation contradicts the
principles of the International Labour Organization (ILO) and undermines
the European Union’s commitment to social dialogue as enshrined in the
European Pillar of Social Rights and the Recommendation on Strengthening
Social Dialogue in the EU.

The proposed amendments raise several critical issues:

•        Erosion of collective bargaining: The removal of provisions
requiring collective agreements for flexible working arrangements
undermines the role of trade unions and weakens collective industrial
relations.
•        Income insecurity: Allowing employers to guarantee only 10
working hours per week introduces unacceptable levels of income
instability for workers.
•        Lack of employee autonomy: Workers would be bound to inflexible
schedules for up to 12 months, with no right to renegotiate without
employer consent.
•        Discriminatory provisions: The exclusion of minors and new
employees from hourly wage requirements undermines equal treatment
principles.
•        Changing the nature of part-time work: Part-time workers will no
longer be able to work overtime or earn higher pay for extra hours.
•        Reduced social protection: Lower working hours will diminish
social security contributions, affecting unemployment benefits, health
coverage, and future pensions.
These changes are not only regressive but also incompatible with EU
Directive on Adequate Minimum Wages, which calls for stronger collective
bargaining frameworks, especially in countries with low collective
bargaining coverage rates such as Estonia.

We strongly regret to hear from our Estonian affiliate about recent
statements from the Estonian Minister for Economic Affairs and Industry
that collective agreements are outdated and have no place in modern
society, while indicating that no new collective agreements will be
concluded in the state sector under the new government. Such statements
are counter to the EU Acquis and to the EU stance that considers
collective bargaining the cornerstone of the social market model and a key
driver of fair and sustainable economic growth.

We support the demands of our Estonian affiliate, EAKL, for the Estonian
Government to:

•        Restore meaningful tripartite social dialogue at the national
level
•        Publicly support the development of collective bargaining in the
public and private sectors
•        Withdraw the proposed amendments to the Employment Contracts Act
and fully engage in new tripartite negotiations
We also call on the European Commission to monitor this situation closely
and to engage with the Estonian authorities to ensure compliance with EU
law and fundamental rights.

The ETUC stands in full solidarity with EAKL and the workers of Estonia.
We remain committed to supporting efforts to protect and strengthen social
dialogue and collective bargaining across Europe.

Yours sincerely,

Esther Lynch,
General Secretary of the European Trade Union Confederation
Esther LYNCH
General Secretary